St Maelog's Church- Tal-y-Llyn Chapel

St. Mary's is a Grade 1 listed building, listed as a very rare example of a mediaeval church of simple, rustic character. The chapel was in use for occasional services until the early 1990's, but was made redundant in 1992. There was some vandalism in 1999, and 'Friends of Friendless Churches' undertook some restoration. Services are now held here at 3.30 pm on the third Sunday of each month from May to October.

This church was built as the chapel-of-ease for the parish church of Llanbeulan, now itself redundant. The nave is mediaeval, possibly 12th century. The chancel was rebuilt in the 16th century and the South chapel added in the 17th century.

The nave has four roof bays with exposed, arch-collared, pegged trusses with chamfered soffits; the chancel beyond has a pointed, chamfered chancel arch of two roof bays with a single bay chapel set at right angles to the South.

There is a stone flagged floor throughout and the nave has a narrow plinth at the base of each side wall into which simple plank pews are set. These were vandalised in 1999, but the remaining pews were copied in the recent restoration. One of the plank pews was dated 1786.

The original 12th century font was removed for safe keeping when the church was made redundant and with the permission of the Ancient Monuments Society, is now housed in the parish church, St. Maelog's, Llanfaelog. On the south side of the nave is a 15th century octagonal gritstone font with roll moulding at the base, set on an octagonal stem with necking.

The pulpit is simple, with recessed panel faces and a sloping top on shaped brackets.

The communion rails are also simply designed, with a moulded rail on turned balusters, dated 1764, and the reredos is of tongued and grooved panelling with chevron detailing.

The plain glass leaded lights look out onto the fields, and the chapel has a wonderful, spiritual atmosphere that draws many visitors.

For more information or arrangements to view, please contact:

Rector:  Rev. Canon Madalaine Brady  01407 810412

Church Wardens: 
Mr.  Roy Mearns
01407 810209
Mrs. J. Langrill    01407 810238
or
e-mail: enquiries@stmaelog.org.uk